Sourcing Commercial Drugs for
Clinical Trials: US vs. EU
Understanding the Differences
Sourcing commercial drugs for clinical trials is a dynamic process. There are many
factors to consider: single source or regional sourcing, strategy, price, supplyavailability, lead times, and documentation are just a few. In the past, there were
as high. Today, the demand for commercial drugs in clinical trials has greatly
by manufacturers, and lead times have increased. This report highlights the keydifferences in sourcing from the US and EU.
• Products can be more readily purchased directly
EPO manufacturertoADR(AuthorizedDistributerof frommanufacturers,thoughsuppliesvaryby
Record) to pharmacies, hospitals, and secondary
country/manufacturer. Smaller quantities may be
available on a country level, but often not enough
• Brand manufacturers will typically only sell
to supply a larger trial at one time.
• Manufacturers may direct CT purchases to one
R volumeofbusinessinordertoestablishan specificcountry.
• Products will have EU and/or country-specific
• Large volumes typically available in 2 – 3 weeks.
• Supply is tightly managed by IMAs (Inventory
• Lead times range from 2 – 3 weeks to
Management Agreements) with manufacturers.
6 – 7 months depending on product, quantity,
Prevents speculative buying ahead of potential
• Each package size and strength have individual
• FDA requires Pedigree Documentation for all
Sample Lead Times for Large Volume Purchases
For more information about
sourcing in the US and EU,
call +1-610-233-3300 or
• Governments typically set pricing.
• Pricing is transparent, as WAC is industry accepted.
• Pricing typically lower than US market, but
• Price increases typically are 1 or 2 times per year,
wide variances on a country by country basis.
and average 2 – 10% per increase. Generics are
• Manufacturers may price CT supplies higher
an exception, with pricing sometimes 80 – 90%
distribution, and management of commercial
pharmaceutical products and supplies forclinical trials. Our clients span the globe
Sample Price Comparisons
and include the majority of the world’s top10 pharmaceutical companies. With our
deep expertise, customized solutions, andpersonalized service, Myoderm provides
the optimal drug supply solution for globalclinical studies.
• Drug supply not usually an issue, as most
• Manufacturers typically do not refuse to supply
manufacturers do not require information.
drug, but some require EUDRACT or additional
• Branded manufacturers typically do not provide
• Most manufacturers supply COA, BSE/TSE,
• Only 20 – 30% of branded manufacturers supply
equivalency and other documentation, such as
COAs, but generics are more supporting.
All product names mentioned in this publication are tradenames, trademarks, or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Name :Nalidixic acid Cas No. :389-08-2 Synonyms:NOGRAM;NALIDIXIC ACID;NALADIXIC ACID;1,4-DIHYDRO-1-ETHYL-7-METHYL-1,8-NAPHTHYRIDIN-4-O NE-3-CARBOXYLIC ACID;1,4-DIHYDRO-1-ETHYL-7-METHYL-4-OXO-1,8-NAPHTHYRI DINE-3-CARBOXYLIC ACID;1-ETHYL-1,4-DIHYDRO-7-METHYL-4-OXO-1,8-NAPHTHYRI DINE-3-CARBOXYLIC ACID;1-ETHYL-7-METHYL-1,8-NAPHTHYRIDINE-4-ONE-3-CARBO XYLIC ACID;1,8-Naphthyridine-3-carboxylicacid,1
Hosmer Vet Clinic is offering to its Equine customers a Fall Equine Wellness Package. This package includes: Wellness exam Dental with anesthesia Fecal exam for parasites Chemistry blood panel Package is good through the end of the year. Cost is only $120.00. Call for an appointment (605) 283-2278. Deworming programs Based on information from Veterinary Parasitologists, dewo